How to stop/remove Skype update permanently
Have you ever wonder why the Skype programmer wanted this program up-to-date?
|Skype update notification popup|
But the result after updating is that it only leads to a lagging video when using the Video Call feature, it’s also lag when typing text at the message box when using video call. This is based on my experience upon using this program.
1. Sign-in your account.
|Automatic updates window|
|CMD console window|
9. Search and delete the file “SkypeSetup.exe”. See picture below.
|User Temp folder|
10. Lastly, and this is the most important part! Before doing the steps below, be sure that your UAC(User Account Control) slider has been set to “Never”.
- Go to Run > type “%systemroot%\System32\drivers\etc\” without quotes.
- Open notepad.exe then drag & drop the file named host.
- Add these text “127.0.0.1 download.skype.com” below the last line of your host file.
- Save and Exit. Done!
- Note: You can’t download Skype manually by using this technique!
If you want to download from download.skype.com in the future, you need to remove this line from the hosts file. Or else, use either of the procedures below.
- Go to Run > type regedit.
- Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies
- Right-click on Policies then select New > Key then type “Skype”, without quotes.
- Right-click on newly created Skype key then select New > Key then type “Phone”, without quotes.
- Right-click on newly created Phone subkey then select New > “DWORD (32-bit) Value” then type “DisableVersionCheck”, no quotes.
- Double-click the newly created DisableVersionCheck value and in Value data: type “1”, no quotes.
- Close Registry Editor. Done!
- Open notepad then type the lines below.
- Save as “skype.reg”, with quotes
- Double-click the file skype.reg and accept all popup.
This tutorial is tested and created using the Skype version 22.214.171.124.
Check out my other post here.